1) A total lunar eclipse will occur on May 26 but it will be visible in the country for a short span from northeastern India, some parts of West Bengal, coastal parts of Odisha and Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
👉 According to the India Meteorological Department (IMD), the eclipse will be visible in the region covering South America, North America, Asia, Australia, Antarctica, the Pacific Ocean and the Indian Ocean.
▪️Indian Meteorological Department :-
Headquarters – New Delhi
Director General of Meteorology – Dr. Mrutyunjay Mohapatra
Founder – Government of India
Founded – 1875
2) Hockey India won the prestigious Etienne Glichitch Award in recognition of its contribution to the growth and development of the sport in the country.
👉 The awards were announced by the game’s governing body FIH during the HockeyInvites virtual conference as part of its 47th FIH Congress which concluded with the FIH Honorary Awards.
▪️International Hockey Federation (FIH) :-
Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland
CEO: Thierry Weil
Founded: 7 January 1924, Paris, France
3) Six sites, including the Ganga ghats in Varanasi, temples of Kancheepuram in Tamil Nadu and the Satpura Tiger Reserve in Madhya Pradesh, have been added to India’s tentative list of UNESCO world heritage sites.
4) Cambridge University chemists Shankar Balasubramanian and David Klenerman have been declared the winners of the 2020 Millennium Technology Prize.
👉 They are being awarded for their development of revolutionary sequencing techniques which means DNA can now be read in super-fast times.
5) India’s renewable energy sector has been placed at the third position in the 57th EY Renewable Energy Country Attractiveness Index (RECAI) released by consultancy firm Ernst & Young (EY).
India has moved one position above to rank third in 2020 index, compared to the 2019, when it was at fourth spot, mainly due to an exceptional performance on the solar photovoltaic (PV) front.
6) India and Oman renewed the Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) on military cooperation along with its annexure as well as on maritime issues.
👉 The document was signed by Secretary General of Ministry of Defense, Oman Dr Mohammed bin Nasser Al Zaabi and Ambassador of India to Oman Shri Munu Mahawar.
7) India is the second largest insurance technology market in the Asia Pacific, accouting for 35% of the $3.66 billion of the venture capital coming into the sector in the region, according to S&P Global Market Intelligence data.
8) Google announced that it is launching its News Showcase feature in India and is partnering with 30 news organisations.
👉 According to Google, the move is aimed at incentivising and supporting local publishers to curate high-quality content on the search engine’s News and Discover platforms.
9) Cybersecurity veteran Khushhal Kaushik has bagged the super-prestigious Glory of India Award 2020 recently by the Indian achiever forum.
👉 The award is given to professionals and veterans across diverse fields and streams to recognize their excellence, merit, and the propelling of a nation’s growth through their achievements.
10) The Emmy Award-nominated Indian choreographer Suresh Mukund, has won the 10th Annual ‘World Choreography Award 2020’, (also known as Choreo Awards), becoming the first Indian to win the prestigious honor.
👉 The World Choreography Awards, famously known as the “Oscars of Dance”, takes place every year, in Los Angeles, to showcase the most innovative and original works by the world’s best choreographers featured in television, film, commercials, digital content, and music videos.
11) Odisha government has decided to include Mucormycosis as a notifiable disease under the Epidemic Diseases act 1897. The decision has been taken in view of the reported rise in incidences of black fungus among covid-19 patients, currently under certain drugs and also among patients in the post-covid period.
Praveen Sharma, [26.05.21 11:22]
▪️Odisha CM – Naveen Patnaik
👉 Governor – Ganeshi Lal
👉 Similipal Tiger Reserve
👉 Satkosia Tiger Reserve
👉 Bhitarkanika Mangroves
👉 Nalabana Bird Sanctuary
12) Buddha Purnima is celebrated commemorating the birth of Lord Buddha. Buddha Purnima is on May 26. According to Buddhist traditions, Prince Siddhartha Gautama, later known as Gautama Buddha, was born in 623 B.C. at Lumbini in the Terai region of Nepal. Lumbini is now a popular place of pilgrimage and a UNESCO World Heritage site.
👉In parts of South and Southeast Asia, Lord Buddha’s birth is celebrated as part of Vesak, a festival that also marks the day of Buddha’s enlightenment.
13) Endeavouring to send the women’s national team to the 2027 FIFA World Cup, the All India Football Federation has charted a detailed plan in this regard, which has been “endorsed and supported” by both the Sports Ministry and Sports Authority of India.
▪️All India Football Federation:-
President: Praful Patel
Founded: 23 June 1937
FIFA affiliation: 1948
AFC affiliation: 1954
Headquarters: Dwarka, Delhi
14) The Uttarakhand government announced the Chief Minister Vatsalya Yojana to take care of those children, who lost their parents or the sole earning member of the family to Covid-19 infection.
👉 Under the scheme, the government would make arrangements for the education and training of these children till they attain the age of 21 years.